anonyme7

déformation de miroir mince

Messages recommandés

Bon, j'ai refflechi au truc, apparament, il faut exercer une contrainte uniforme vers l'arrière au miroir, et dans ce cas, un simple elastique autour du miroir devrait faire l'affaire...(si cette solution s'averait bonne, je serai, comme on dit vulgairement, mdr)

[Ce message a été modifié par anonyme7 (Édité le 09-04-2007).]

Anonyme 7 nous dit :

" J'étais allé une fois à l'atelier d'optique il y a quelques années mais la personne responsable m'avait donné l'impression d'être assez classique : pas de possibilité de polir un miroir > à 300 mm car c'est, parait-il, presque infaisable etc... alors je suis sceptique quant à l'accueil pour ce genre de projet, de plus, étant débutant et pas très dégourdi..."

L'état d'esprit a un peu changé à l'atelier d'optique de la saf depuis que j'en suis le Président: outils céramique, interférométrie, miroirs de 400mm, Ritchey-Chrétien, Dall...

Pour un débutant, le mieux serait, à mon avis, de se faire la main d'abord sur un "petit" miroir pour "sentir" les choses. En effet, faire un bon sphérique n'est pas forcément très facile la première fois et il ne faut pas confondre vitesse et précipitation.

Des gens pas dégourdis, on a en a connu plein, à commencer par moi, bien entourés ils ont tous réussit ! Et toutes les nouvelles techniques sont intéressante à tester surtout si d'autre en plus ont essuyé les plâtres ;-) n'est ce pas les amis Belges !

Alors soyons clair, ce projet m'intéresse et si vous voulez, let's do it !

Charles Rydel
Président de la Commission des
Instruments de la SAF

décidemment, sur ce forum, il n'y a que du "beau monde" ! et je suis bien content d'avoir affaire au président de l'atelier d'optique de la SAF...

Comme je travaille à Paris (pour être plus précis, à l'Observatoire de Paris, mais c'est un pur hasard si je me trouve dans ce haut lieu de l'astronomie, n'ayant pas moi-même la qualification d'astronome) et j'ai la possibilité d'aller à la Sorbonne assez facilement...je serais bien heureux de vous rencontrer pour pouvoir parler de ce projet et de tailler mon premier miroir...

quand peut-on se rendre à l'atelier d'optique ou se rencontrer ? j'ai consulté la page web mais il n'y a aucune indication sur les horaires...

[Ce message a été modifié par anonyme7 (Édité le 09-04-2007).]

Bonjour,

Il y a 2 seances par semaine, le mardi soir à partir de 19H00, et le samedi à partir de l'après midi;
C'est vrai que les choses ont bien changé à l'atelier, on se lance maintenant dans les formules "exotiques".
Cette idée de flex mirror m'interesse beaucoup ;
J'espere qu'on aura l'occasion de se voir Mardi.
amitiés
Cyril

Some more info about the images above. I have the impresssion not to be clear on this matter. Sorry about that...;-)

Puller plate :

1- Spherical mirror ; We use 19 mm thick glass up to mirrors of 250 mm diameter. Starting from 300 mm diameter we use 25 mm thick glass.
2- Layer of neopreen (the same material they use to make wet-suit (diving-dress) The neopreen we use is 8 mm thick. Dimensions of this part are calculated with Flex software.
3- Glass disk 6 mm thick. This glassdisk has the same diameter as the neopreen disk, but has no central hole..!
4- Small aluminum disk. We use a disk about 40 to 50 mm diameter, thickness about 5 mm.
5- Threated rod or fine threated bolt.

Additional info on the puller :
Our mirrors are all made out of plate glass. I started building telescope/grinding mirrors early 80', made some 30 telescopes myself and helped constructing about 350 scopes during course. Most of these mirrors are made out of plate glass : float or borrofloat. Never had problems with these mirrors at all. Easy to grind/polish and easy to flex to.
The neopreen disk is glued to the mirror, then 6 mm thick glassdisk is glued to the neopreen, at last the aluminum disk is glued to the 6 mm glassdisk. Before glueing that aluminum disk to the glassdisk you have to attach the threated rod to it. Diameter of that aluminum disk is not important at all.
The combination neopreen/glass will spread the pulling action so the pulling force is spread evenly all over the mirror. The 6 mm glassdisk has to be flat but not 'optically' flat. See to it no glue is running over the edges of the neopreen because you will loose the flexing effect. Instead of that 6 mm glassdisk you could use a steel plate, or aluminum, but see to it it is very flat. Whe tested other materials but at the end glass was the best option because of it's flatness. If it's not flat you will end up with astigmatic errors, like we once did.
Use the best glue you can find, we've tested different brands of glue but at the end we used Araldite. It's a two component glue, it's very strong...!!! Also see to it the entire disk is glued and no empty spots are there because you'll end up with optical errors.
To prevent the parts sliding sideways while glueing/drying make a small stand to secure it's position because some glues need 24 hours and even longer to dry.

Pusher plate :

These parts we do not glue.

6- A neopreen ring, again the dimension of this ring is calculated with the Flex software.
7- This ring can be made out of any material but we make (pour) them out of resin. The advantage of this resin ring : very fast to construct and it can easely be machined. The ring has to be parallel to prevent optical errors. We use a lathe to do this.
8- Pusher plate, again you can use any material but we prefer to use MDF = very flat. Here one could use a metal or aluminum disk, but you should machine it be very flat.
9- Washer and wingnut. These days we use a nut instead of a wingnut because in some situations our hands are to big to reach the small wingnut.

As I explaned before once assembled, no need to do a Foucaulttest, just go outside with it and pull until you have a perfect starimage. It is also possible to pull yourself an ellips instead of a parabola. Just pull the mirror in the shape you want to, very fast and easy.

Whatever you do, always keep in mind flexing is deforming the mirror mechanically, that is clear. This is done in a controlled way and very accurate. This flexdevice is handeling 1/50 wave and even even less. So whatever you're doing while constructing all the part keep this in mind. No errors are allowed al all. Once you have made one, it'll be fun and making the second one will go very fast, you'll see...!

This is our latest project : A telescope for handicapped. The 250 mm f/8 mirror is a flexed one.

This is a scale model. Planning to make the same one with a 400 mm primary

Still need some more info, just let us know.
Good luck...
...and keep us informed how you progress.

Chris

A big thank you, Chris.

I would like to know how you know when "the star image is perfect", please...

Owning an old 114 mm with a spherical mirror (which I'll certainly try to flex, for training), I remember the images were awfully fuzzy (it's a catadioptric, what's worse ! ) but nevertheless, stars appeared at round dots (well, they actually look like crosses if I put my glasses down but that's because of my astigmatism ).

So when can you say, on a visual basis, that the mirror is just bent correctly ?

By the way, does flexing the mirror significantly change its F/d ratio ?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

(P.S. pour les astrosurfers : si vous voulez que je traduise aussi sa réponse ci dessus, y a qu'à demander, hein ^^)

cette discussion est vraiment tres interessante!

j'avais commencé a polir un 450mm super mince (25mm au bord, 19mm au centre, une vraie crepe) pour faire un dobson super léger, malheureusement j'ai buté pendant un an sur la parabolisation (miroir trop mince donc astigmatisme pendant le controle, plus astigmatisme sur le miroir selon un certain axe et astigmatisme d'aberration sphérique sur un autre axe ! jamais entendu parler de ca ailleurs mais j'ai refait mes controles maintes fois pour en etre sur)

c'est donc avec grand interet que je suis cette discussion, car faire un miroir sphérique est super facile (par rapport a un parabolique, et cela d'autant plus que le F/D est petit ou le miroir mince)

Z80, tu sais quand le miroir est OK en faisant un star test: si tu vois de l'aberration spherique, c'est pas bon (ca se voit tres bien en examinant les images intra-extra focale : sur un miroir parfait elles sont identique, sur un avec de l'aberration spherique, elles sont differentes)

Chriske, does the deformation of the mirror involve the presence of 4th order spherical aberration, or is it negligible?

how can we make sure that the deformation will lead to a parabola and not a parabola + a 4th order spherical aberration?

by the way, what is the maximum deformation possible for the mirror with such a device ?

do you think conic constants of -2 or less could be reached? I ask that because I think it could be possible to design a system with a flex hyperbolic primary mirror and corrector (hyperbolic secondary mirror) to get a combination with reduced field aberrations?

regards

spout

Hey,

me again...

No problem to flex a mirror into a hyperbola. We've already done it. We've pulled several mirrors from sphere to oblate sphere, to parabola and even to hyperbola.
Although we've flexed and measured mirrors to a parabola we did not measure the hyperbolic one. I'm pretty convinced it would be a correct figure. To be shure you have to test it for yourself. If you do, keep us informed...;-)
We pulled the mirror into a hyperbola just to test how far we could go to test the strenght of the glue we were using. Once under heavy tension we left it for a few weeks. No problem there, the glue we use for flexing (Araldite) is doing the job very nicely. In fact if you ever want to remove the glue(for whatever reason) you'll need chisels and that sort of tools to remove it from the mirror. Even with strong acid it will not loosen from the mirror.

Chris

Invité chinois02
J'ai quand même un gros doute sur la méthode de "parabolisation" par traction au centre du miroir. En effet, coller une vis de traction au centre du miroir, c'est facile. Ensuite, il faut faire reposer la couronne du miroir sur un cercle. Logiquement en raisonnant de manière parfaite: l'épaisseur de verre au dessus du cercle d'appui est constant. De plus, le cercle d'appui est parfait, il n'y a pas de points hauts où l'appui du miroir se fait préférentiellement. On suppose également que ce cercle d'appui vu par la tranche est bien un segment de droite et non le signe de l'infini!
Le problème majeur de la méthode me semblerait bien la création d'astigmatisme aléatoire!
:?

Bonjour

Je pense que de l’astigmatisme, il y a en a sûrement un peu, mais ils sont sûrement noyé dans les tolérances de parabolisation (on est toujours avec de « grand » F/D). Le plus gros Pb c’est la stabilité thermique dans le temps d’une observation, si la température évolue, on doit sûrement refaire le réglage au cours de nuit. (Pas trop gênant, vu les avantages du système)

Moi, j’ai une petite question concernant les diamètres des disques. Il y a des formules pour déterminer leur taille ? Genre Racine 2 *R.

Je trouve le montage proposé un peu lourd. Il est dit dans l'article de Adler que la methode de Kelley déformait trop le centre. Sans doute, si on tire non pas seulement au centre mais sur toute la surface on pourrait obtenir la forme désirée ?

[Ce message a été modifié par anonyme7 (Édité le 12-04-2007).]

...si on tire non pas seulement au centre mais sur toute la surface on pourrait obtenir la forme désirée ?....

Correct, that is what you see on the images above. The thin glass disk and the neopreen together are spreading the pulling force over a very large (and correct) area of the primary. That's why it works..!
And there is no visible astigmatic error at all..! In fact the pulling force of the unit is far bigger than any 'possible' astigmatic error. So because of that force I'm pretty convinced that there is no possible way an astigmatic error can occure in the first place, that is if all the componets are correctly constructed, glue is correctly use, etc..

I'm not going to start a debate wether it works or not, I gave the info Olivier asked for, that's all. All we know is the darn thing works...!

Good luck anyway,
Chris.

Chriske,

If one day you are coming to paris, you are welcome to visit the optical workshop of the société astronomique de France which is situated in paris at la Sorbonne. We will be happy to have an in deep discussion with you about that and more ! For more info, have a look at :
http://www.astrosurf.com/saf/

Bonjour
C'est du déterrage de post mais ça a l'air très intéressant.
Est ce que l'idée a avancé ou est ce tombé à l'eau ?
Bonne journée.
Luc